Homecoming, stress go hand in hand

While Homecoming night rapidly approaches, leadership students and others scramble to get together all the main details of their float projects. Yet often the struggle over who is in charge, and which students’ ideas are more important, brings on stress to many who are involved.

“Homecoming night can be really stressful but in the end it’s very worth it,” Ashley Cook, ’04, said. “Some details come together easily but most need a lot of help. We try to work together nicely but sometimes things just get a little out of hand and the stress gets higher and higher.”

Homecoming floats have proven to be one of the most stressful events of the school year and bring on many arguments between students.

“Sometimes it’s nice when one person takes charge but when other people want to get in on it bad things can happen,” Chris Byrnes, ’06, said. “Some people go on power trips and want to rule everything.”

This year’s motto, “We’ve Got Game,” is challenging the classes to organize and present different board games. The senior class is presenting Monopoly, juniors have Candy Land, sophomores are displaying the game Life and the freshmen chose Clue.

“I’m pretty excited about the difficult task we will face for this years’ junior float,” Carson Belmont, ’05, said. “I’ve always liked the game Candy Land so now I think it’s cool that I get to make a float out of giant candy.”

Belmont is involved in many student activities because of his role as campus ASB vice president.

“Sometimes we just get too involved and simple details get really messed up,” Belmont said. “Last year we painted the back wall, nailed it to the frame and everything seemed fine, but then Anne [Hierholzer, ?05] pointed out that we had put the entire wall on the wrong side of the truck bed.”

Although mistakes are likely most students are simply excited about the finished product and are anticipating a successful evening.

“I am looking forward to getting together and having fun building the float,” Jenna Burford, ’05, said. “I’m excited to see the finished product on homecoming night.”

Class floats are one of the most popular traditions of past homecomings and are essential to a successful homecoming night. Homecoming has been a campus tradition for over 25 years and was even started before football was a sport on campus.

“Homecoming is a chance for each class to work together and experience each other while working towards a goal,” Scott Falk, campus pastor, said. “It’s a time for families to take pride in our campus because now they can see for themselves what we are all about.”

This year’s homecoming football game will be against the Coast Union Broncos at Clark Stadium on Oct. 3.

The sports boosters club will be serving pizza and coffee. The band will also be serving hot dogs, chilidogs, hamburgers and sodas.