Grandparents return to classrooms

Grandparents bring more than just homemade cookies and birthday checks; they bring a ray of sunshine into an otherwise ordinary day of school. Students from elementary through high school looked forward with great anticipation to welcoming their grandparents on Sept. 12.

“We are basically trying to bring together the greater extended family,” Superintendent, Tim Wilkins, said. “For me Grandparents Day, is one of the highlights of my year as a superintendent. When I see the relationship that grandparents have with their grandchildren; it blesses me beyond description.”

This marks the seventh annual Grandparents Day. The tradition started when the Hallmark Card Company began issuing Grandparents Day cards. These cards began appearing nationwide in the late 1980s after it became a holiday under the Carter Administration in 1978. The faculty decided to jump on the bandwagon.

During the first year, only elementary celebrated Grandparents Day, but the high school adopted the tradition by the second year.

“My grandparents have come since I was in the sixth grade, for the past six years,” Greg Tharpe, ’04, said.”I just like the way our grandparents get to come and see how our schedule works on a daily basis in high school. It’s also a great way to spend with grandparents.”

Grandparent Day provides many memories that might not be created otherwise.

“I love Grandparents Day,” Kyle Gentz, ’05, said.”Mainly because I got to see my grandmother before she died. After Grandparents Day she had a seizure and went blind. After a few more months, she died.”

Over 300 grandparents participated on campus this year. Grandparents Day may be anticipated by many in the student body, but not everyone shares these feelings.

“I dislike Grandparents Day,” Eric Beneke, ’07, said. “It should be celebrated outside of school. I can’t believe people actually hang out with grandparents here on campus.”

However, students who agree with Beneke appear to be a rarity on campus. Many students embrace Grandparents Day as a beloved custom on this campus.

“I have participated in Grandparents Day five times,” Glen Paden, grandparent, said. “I come back for my grandson, Joey Logan; I enjoy watching what is happening here. I look forward to Grandparents Day because I only see him once every three to four months.”

This event reaches beyond most other dates in the school year, and grandparents seem to enjoy interacting with their grandchildren, as much as their grandchildren enjoying being with them.

Grandparents were also invited to attend the Sept. 12 Farmersville football game at Clark Intermediate starting at 5:30 P.M.