Blood drive honors FC alumna in recovery (VIDEO)

gaby
[/media-credit] The FCS community is again gathering support in a blood drive for Emily Krieghoff, March 20. Please donate for an Eagle alumna.
In the late hours of Saturday Feb. 21, FC alumni Molly Griffin and best friend Emily Krieghoff were victims of a fatal DUI accident. Molly Griffin was killed on site while Krieghoff is currently in recovery at Fresno Community Hospital.

Due to the essential role that blood donations have played in Krieghoff’s recovery and because of the tragic nature of the incident, the FC community will be partnering with Central California Blood Center in the first Emily Krieghoff Blood Drive, March 20.

The idea for the event was first purposed by Leadership and Economics teacher, Robert Foshee after Krieghoff’s mother suggested a blood drive. Foshee says that the event will provide an opportunity for both FC alumni and current students and staff members to come together as a community and support the Krieghoff family during a time in which they need it most.

“I think it’s a great way to give back to the community especially for our own alumni who have been touched by that,” Foshee said. “It’s something that you can do that’s easy. We’re also going to have a place where we can write messages and cards and if you want to help out the family during that time too there’s opportunities to do that. As a school it’s an opportunity to come together as a family.”

The Central Blood Center mobile will be stationed in the high school parking lot from 1-5 p.m., equipped with trained and experienced personnel. All potential donors are required to be in relatively stable health upon arrival at the mobile and must weigh at least 110lbs and be 16 years of age or older.

All student participants regardless of age, are required to obtain and present a signed permission slip upon arrival at the mobile. Permission slips are available for free download at Central Blood Center’s website. Students must also schedule an appointment for their donation prior to March 20 via email with either Foshee or school secretary, Vicky Belmont.

Central Blood Center holds all rights to deny donors participation if they fail to meet the before mentioned requirements or present any number of complicating factors such as abnormally high blood pressure or body temperature.

According to Central Blood Center, the process of blood donation works in a simple four step process. Firstly upon arrival participants must register with the use of a photo ID and social security number. These two items are required to register and those who do not posses proper identification will not be admitted into the Mobil.

The experience was fun and I felt important because I was giving to someone who needed it. I wanted to do it because I did it last year and I had a good time and wanted to do it again. I would encourage anyone who is able to participate because it is an easy and fast way to help people who are in need. –Senior Breanna Jennings

Secondly, Central Blood Center personnel will conduct a brief physical check up, measuring blood pressure and heart rate in order to assess the individual’s personal health. All health information that donors share with the personnel will be kept confidential.

The withdrawal of one pint of blood usually takes no more than 15 minutes and is a painless process. After completion participants will receive a T-shirt, a sweet treat and be encouraged to rest for a short amount of time before resuming daily activities.

Leadership member Breanna Jennings, ’15, previously donated at FC’s annual Max Hinton Blood Drive. She says that the opportunity provides a hands on and practical way to give back to the community and reach out to those who need love the most.

“The experience was fun and I felt important because I was giving to someone who needed it,” said Jennings. “I wanted to do it because I did it last year and I had a good time and wanted to do it again. I would encourage anyone who is able to participate because it is an easy and fast way to help people who are in need.”

Macy Mascarenas, ’16, knew both girls on a more personal level through her older sister. Mascarenas believes that the blood drive is a way to honor the memory of Molly Griffin and the generous sacrifice that saved Krieghoff’s life.

“I think the blood drive is a really good idea,” Mascarenas said. “These are young girls who went here and made such an impact on this school. I think the least we can do as a school is to dedicate it to them and to honor them.”

Update: Emily Krieghoff is scheduled to be released from Fresno Community Hospital, March 18.

To obtain permission slips or learn more information about donor qualifications, visit www. Centralvalleybloodcenter.com.

To follow Emily Krieghoff’s progress, visit caringbridge.org. Please read a guest post by Macy Mascarenas as she reflects on the life of Molly Griffin.

For another article news article read Campus families gather to support 32nd FC Auction.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee.