Baseball sport shorts: Mendota

Kings-christian-Baseball
[/media-credit] Coming off wins against Kings Christian and Mendota, FC will next take on Coast Union, March 21.
Boys Baseball Sport Shorts, 2015

For a preview to the Eagles baseball season and look at their scores so far, check out the score on Maxpreps, 2014-2015, for dates, times, and other winter sports.

Also check out the schedule for this year baseball season on Fresno Christian athletic website. The overall score for FC is currently 7-1. The first league game will be played on April 7.

FC pulls through to take the win, March 17

Coming off a victory against Kings Christian the Friday before, the Eagles of Fresno Christian looked to continue their hot streak and extend their winning streak. Sophomore Jorge Castro was set to take the ball for the Eagles and try to stop the Aztec offense.

The Eagles came out and fired early, scoring five runs in the top of the first and sent a message to the Aztec’s defense. Mendota came back with a force of their own, getting runners on early in the bottom of the inning and driving in three runs of their own.

After the first, both teams began to settle into their grove and slow down the offense. FC was able to score one more in the second before Mendota went to their bullpen and began to quiet the Eagles bats. Meanwhile, Castro was able to keep Mendota at check for the rest of the game, with the defense solid behind him.

Late in the game, the Eagles tacked on one more in the sixth, and another in the top of the seventh to stretch the lead to 5. Castro stayed in for the final inning to try to secure the win and a complete game. With only one out, the Aztecs were able to get a runner on second and put some pressure on the Eagle D. However, a great play in the outfield by Junior Tyler Breedlove led to a double play and secured the win for FC.

Junior Bailey Brogan said the game went well, and their execution showed the team they can compete with anyone.

“The game went well,” Brogan said, “We executed as a team and made the plays we needed to. Our hitting came through and once our defense settled down we were playing our best. The game showed we can play with the best in our division, and we can get hits off even the best pitchers teams have to offer. I look forward to many more games like this one.”

The Eagles are now 7-1 and play their next game Saturday, March 21 as the team takes a road trip to Cambria to play a double header against Coast Union.

For more sports, read the article Baseball sport shorts: Kings Christian.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather, Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline.