Football coach receives rare honor

In a unique experience this summer, head coach John Hall not only greeted his own players but also star senior players from around Fresno. Hall received the honor of being named head coach at the City/County All-Star Game on June 21 at Grizzlies Stadium.

“This was a really great opportunity for me to coach the most talented players in the section,” Hall said. “It gave me a chance to see my system and schemes implemented in a game with speed, power and talent at my disposal.”

This event was the 49th annual game and has become a city tradition, bringing football fans, coaches and media from all over the Valley. According to Hall, senior all-stars are specifically chosen in order to bring a high level of skill and competition to the game.

“It was fun getting to know all the different personalities and get a small glimpse of the various schools they represent, in regards to systems and coaching styles,” Hall said. “I got to know many of these guys personally and it was a really great opportunity.”

Although they only had two weeks to prepare for the game, the players were able to build relationships and quickly adjust to new plays and styles of coaching.

“It was great to play for a Christian coach,” Kevin McDannald, ’03, Hoover High graduate, said. “I had played in the Prep Bowl at Edison High School a few weeks previous to the City/County All-Star Game and the difference in coaching ethics was a pleasant surprise for me.”

McDannald appreciated Hall’s coaching techniques and felt he was a positive reflection of both God and Fresno Christian. FC Principal Gary Schultz agreed with McDannald.

“Being the head coach of the City/County All-Star Game is an outstanding honor,” Principal Schultz said. “It is a reward granted to the coach who has been the most successful for that year. It not only honors coach Hall but also brings unbelievable public relations to our school and gets our name out in the media.”