Peer counseling strengthens relationships

For the 18th year in a row, high school students pack their bags and head up to Calvin Crest to counsel eighth graders for a week. These students will participate in outdoor education classes such as Terry Richards survival class, Hallie Rojeski’s Miwok Indian class, big trees and orienteering taught by the Calvin Crest staff.

“We used to go in the spring,” George Freeman, junior high dean of students, said. “We changed the trip to fall so we could bond as a class and deepen interpersonal relationships. The trip builds trust and makes us more fit to carry out God’s call for community at Fresno Christian.”

Cabin leaders are high school students who give the campers a chance not only to bond with peers but also to relate to older students in the mountains near Oakhurst. Seven high school students are planning on joining.

“It would be a great opportunity for me to be an example of Christ for these girls,” Danae Cook, ’05, said. “I hope to help make their week at camp one they will never forget. I want to be a counselor at Hume Lake when I’m older, and this is a great place to start.”

Former campers have grown older and many now serve the school and the community in the way they have been served.

“On my eighth grade trip to Calvin Crest, I got to know people better and felt closer to my class,” Rene Charest, ’04, said. “I climbed the rock wall a lot. Adam Leslie [’04] was like a monkey.”

Activities range from the rock wall, the high ropes course, and the “Logger’s Jamboree” to swimming, ping-pong, and foosball.

Campers and counselors will leave for Calvin Crest on Sept. 22-26.