Peers pray at pole

While people throughout Fresno gathered in prayer, campus students united around the flagpole and lifted their prayers up to God on Sept. 17. See You at the Pole is a nation-wide event inspired by a Texas school prayer event in 1990. It is held every year in September.

“This was my first time going to See You at the Pole in my three years teaching at FC and I thought it was great,” Tom McEntee, English teacher, said. “While listening others pray out loud, I was praying to myself about my personal needs, about my wife, and my soon to be born child.”

Students from across the city organized themselves to pray without parental or teacher leadership.

“I think it is great how students came together and prayed without any parent or teacher help,” Jennifer Vanden Hoek, ’06, said. “It was awesome how so many people joined around the flag pole for prayer about teachers, our nation, and it’s leaders.”

Although it requires waking up earlier than usual, many students seem to put that extra effort to meet at the flagpole. This year about 45 students, 5 teachers, and a couple of youth pastors joined in the prayer.

“It was worth coming early and praying for the school, leaders around the world, and for youth pastors in Fresno,” Caleb Thiesen, ’05, said. “I am blessed that I can join in prayer with my peers and not just have a moment of silence.”

For more information on See You At the Pole nation wide, visit www.syatp.com/02home.html.