Small town fair a family treasure

The night was warm and a breeze blew on an early autumn night in Caruthers. The sky glowed with the lights of many carnival rides. Shouts of fair-goers rang through the air.

The Caruthers Fair ended its six-day run on Sept. 29. A long-time institution with Caruthers-area families and many Fresnans, the Caruthers Fair has a long tradition of providing fun and entertainment for Valley families.

Although the Caruthers Fair is small compared to the Big Fresno Fair, its diminutive size is part of its very appeal, giving it a small-town atmosphere. A family-friendly tone plays a large part in the type of atmosphere the Caruthers Fair attempts to create.

“This year’s theme was, ‘A Family Treasured Fair’,” wrote the Caruthers District Fair Association (CDFA) President Mark Sorenson, in an online statement on the Caruthers Fair website. “We believe this (the Caruthers Fair) is a great place to bring your family.”

Many campus students attend the Caruthers Fair each year. Some students are from Caruthers, and take active part in the fair. Other students attend with a group of friends each year.

“I went to the Caruthers Fair with the band this year, and I had a great time,” Ben Daniels, ’04, said. “I spent a most of my time on the rides and playing carnival games. My friend Phillip Ocheltree (’04) and I won a ton of prizes playing games.”

One of the high points of the Caruthers Fair is the parade, which was held this year on Sept. 29. Marching bands and colorguards from schools all over the Valley took part. The FC Eagle marching band was no exception. As the band marched, they also competed against the other bands that were took part in the parade.

“The parade was okay. It was fun to march with the band, but it was really hot, and we were the last school to march, so we had to wait a long, long time before we could start,” Melissa Jimenez, ’05, said. “Then we had to walk through all the dust the bands before us had kicked up.”

The FC Eagle marching band took second place in the competition. The winner of the competition was Hanford West. The FC colorguard also competed in the parade, but did not place.

“This was my second year marching with the colorguard in the Caruthers Fair Parade,” Rachel Jacobsen, ’04, said. “It was really exciting to go to the fair again this year. We did our best, and even though we didn’t place, I think we performed really well.”