Campus Koreans shed light on conflict

North Korea has yet to test nuclear weapons, but remains labeled as a member of the “Axis of Evil” under the Bush Administration. This crisis remains unanswered in the confrontation of Western democracy and Eastern communism.

“Maybe they are bluffing, but if so, it raises the bluff to a new level,” a senior official in Washington said in a New York Times article, “North Korea Says It May Test An A-Bomb” [Aug. 29, 2003].

With nations threatening to draw their swords, and preparing to declare war, the United States has enacted economic sanctions against the North. The United States currently has stopped all humanitarian aid to the North and completely abandoned the construction of two western nuclear power plants, which were promised under the Clinton Administration.

“I don’t believe North Korea will drop an atomic bomb,” Se Na Lee, ’04, said. “I also do not think it will attack South Korea. We share the same blood, even though we are different countries.”

Campus students Lee, and Young Ju Cho, ’05, are two South Korean citizens and give an unique point of view to this crisis.

“Every single nation has their culture, positive or negative,” Cho said. “Before the USA and North Korea go to war with each other, we should try understanding each other better. North Korea does have a negative side, but if we work past our problems maybe the USA could also have its problems solved as well.”

Many Americans continue to view both Korean countries with an attitude of suspicion after their bloody civil war and separation into different nations. While the North recently demonstrated an aggressive foreign policy to the West either through her ultimatums or threat of war, the South has allied herself with the United States. Campus students view Cho and Lee in a positive light.

“Se Na is a very good friend of mine,” Jenny Ficklin, ’04, said. “I think its cool that she was Homecoming Queen and that her father came all the way from Korea to accompany his daughter.”

The Korean peoples have adopted various other traditions, cultures and governments among themselves. The only unbroken tie between the two vastly different nations remains their language and ancestry.

“Even though we share the same heritage, North Korea must be dealt with in the near future,” Cho said. “But I also believe the United States should stay out of international affairs in the Korean peninsula.”

For more information on the North Korean crisis, visit www.nytimes.com, www.usdaily.com, and www.cnn.com.