Maize maze amazes patrons

Utilizing concentration while navigating through 1 1/2 miles of corn, participants brave dehydration and exhaustion while attempting to conquer The Maize at Cobb’s Ranch.

Since there is little possibility of seeing over the 10 ft. high corn in order to end the struggle, navigating the maze usually takes 1-2 hours. However, The Maize attracts students and children of all ages.

“It was a lot of fun,” Josh Wright, ’05, said. “It was really dark and there was a lot of people. We went in a big group and we were running around acting crazy and enjoying ourselves. I got lost and it took us about an hour and a half and we were yelling at people and cutting through the corn. We got really dirty and we had way too much fun.”

For the second year in a row, Cobb’s Ranch is sponsoring the cornfield maze at the corner of North 41 and Valley Children’s Boulevard and the field is transfigured into the shape of a Fresno Falcons hockey team logo. Corn Cops are placed throughout the maze to keep participants from cutting through the corn and performing other mischievous actions.

“You really get to know people because you end up seeing them many times,” Sarah Melden, corn cop, said. “It’s great to see people get lost and wander around aimlessly for hours.”

According to posted signs at The Maize, most participants take over one hour to complete the maze. With seven mazes in California, and over 130 nationwide, The Maize has become the largest cornfield maze company in the world. Yet not all participants enjoyed the experience.

“I thought it was long, tiresome and boring,” Katrina Stevenson, ’06, said. “All my group did was walk around in circles getting lost and ditch each other in the process. I did not like it.”

The Maize opened Sept. 27 and runs through Oct. 31. While the main attraction is the maze, Cobb’s Ranch has special activities running throughout the week, such as hayrides and a pumpkin patch.

The Maize charges an $8 entrance fee for persons 12 and older and $6 for children 11 and under. The Maize opens at 6 p.m. and closes at 10 p.m. Thursday-Friday. It opens at 10 a.m. on Sat., and 1 p.m. on Sun, and closes both nights at 10 p.m. Cobb’s Ranch encourages people to go out to the Cornfield Maize and find out why getting lost means finding fun.

For additional information, visit www.cobbranch.com or for the national Maize craze, visit www.cornfieldmaze.com.