Radical feats of strength, concert highlight citywide rally

“Over two million have experienced it and now it’s your turn!” A flyer posted on campus advertizes basketball games, blow up toys, and free-style skating for The Spot on Oct. 22. For the past 12 years, The Peoples Church have held a citywide rally for students. The Spot is a part of the nation-wide Locker II Locker program.

“The Spot is an outreach for non-Christian teenagers,” Michael Whitford, assistant minister for youth at Peoples Church, said. “Our goal for the rally is for Christian students to bring their non-Christian friends.”

A team of athletes will perform feats of physical strength along with messages of self-esteem. The messages are related to the needs of teenagers and are hard-hitting, but still humorous.

“The athletes will be breaking concrete blocks, ripping phone books in half, bending steel bars and more,” Donnie Moore, director of Radical Reality, said. “Each skit and each message is motivational for teenagers. It shows that if we all join together with Jesus we can also break stones.”

Along with all the festivities Changing Fate will perform before Radical Reality at the rally. Band member, David Self, mans the band’s turntables.

“Changing Fate is a fairly new band and we are excited to be playing at The Spot,” Self said. “We have only had four shows and the more we perform the more people will know about us. We don’t label ourselves as a Christian band, but all the members are Christians. Our hope and goal for this band is to reach everyone by having God’s word in our songs, but still be able to play in secular stations.”

To prepare for The Spot, Moore and Radical Reality will visit six different schools to introduce and encourage students to join the rally.

“At each school we will introduce each athlete by name and then they will give a preview of what will be done on Oct. 22 at The Spot,” Moore said. “Each message tries to show the teenagers that they are more valuable then wasting their lives on drugs.”

Radical Reality will introduce their program at the following schools:
Central East High School on Oct. 20 at 2:15 P.M
Reyburn Jr. High School on Oct. 21 at 1:30 P.M
Clovis High School on Oct. 21, 1:30 P.M.
Fresno Christian High School on Oct. 22 at 12:30 P.M
Clovis West High School on Oct. 22 at 9:00 A.M

The Spot event will be held from 6-9 P.M at The Peoples Church campus. For more information about Radical Reality or The Spot, parents and students can contact Donnie Moore at (209) 474-1055 or Michael Whitford at (559) 298-8001, ext. 312.