Parents empowered through new grade system

Parents no longer have to fear about their children misrepresenting their grades, hiding report cards and loosing progress reports. Campus administration adopted a new grading system to replace K12 Planet in August.

“PowerSchool is easy to access and I do so once a day, maybe more,” Bonnie Shattuck, [Matthew, ’07] said. ” How else could I have access to everything he is doing? I’m not a computer whiz, but the program is so self-explanatory, I can do it in minutes.”

Many teachers find the technology of PowerSchool to be an easier system of recording and updating grades.

“PowerSchool is much easier to work with,” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “PowerSchool is web based which means the grades are automatically changed when the teachers add in new grades. Everything is connected to the Internet which makes everything faster and more organized.”

PowerSchool allows teachers to update grades without having to worry if the new grades are posted on the Internet.

“PowerSchool is easier to use because it is faster than K12 Planet,” Tom McEntee, English teacher, said. “Students and parents don’t complain about grades not being updated anymore because every 15 minutes the new grades are loaded onto the Internet.”

While parents have the advantage of being able to check grades, homework, attendance and e-mail teachers, FC secretaries no longer have to stay after school to update the new grades.

“PowerSchool is wonderful because grades get changed immediately,” Yoko Kilbourne, high school secretary, said. “When I enter the daily bulletin in PowerSchool it is updated instantly and parents don’t have to wait the usual 24 hours to get the most recent grades.

“”We also don’t have to send out progress reports or collect homework for sick students because grades and assignments are already there and the parents just need to get online to see them.”

For schools that do not have a website to inform parents and students about homework assignments, test schedules, etc, teachers can go to www.scholastic.com and create a free classroom online home page.

Since August, 94% of parents who have children attending campus have logged into PowerSchool. Additionally, 95% have logged in this past week and over 100 parents log in everyday. Only 17.5% of parents have signed up to receive progress reports through e-mail.

For more information on PowerSchool, go online at www.apple.com/education/powerschool/.

To access PowerSchool on the Internet, go to www.fresnochristian.com and click on the LogIn tab, scroll down to PwerSchool and type in the assigned user name and password. Parents and student were given logins in August. For more information on PowerSchool, students and parents can contact the high school office at 299-1695 ext. 5.