Coast showdown carries playoff implications

The varsity football team finds itself coming off a shutout victory and heads into a game with playoff ramifications. After winning 40-0 at home against Laton on Oct. 31, the Eagles travel to Central Sierra League [CSL] leader Coast Union on Nov. 7 to decide playoff seeding.

“We are really excited and ready to play Coast again,” head coach Jon Hall said. “After the first time we played them, giving the game up with 6 fumbles and 8 turnovers, but still moving the ball at whim, we’re looking forward to another shot at them. A victory over them would solidify second place and give us a middle seed in playoffs.”

The main thing the Eagles are looking to overcome is their penchant for turnovers.

Against Riverdale on Oct. 24, the team had one fumble lost and three interceptions in a 31-7 defeat. Turnovers gave the Cowboys excellent field position throughout the game and killed potential Eagle comeback drives.

However, according to quarterback Seth Fisher, ’04, the offense hopes to correct that problem.

“Turnovers have plagued us all year,” Fisher said. “We just can’t seem to sustain a drive and keep the momentum with our team. They certainly don’t give us a chance to win and usually give our opponents great position and momentum.”

The Eagles defense, which held Coast’s potent running back Matt Downing, ’04, to 74 yards in their Oct. 7 match-up, will once again be relied upon to hold Downing in check.
Much of that responsibility falls on middle linebacker Rene Charest, ’04.

“Stopping Downing will both halt Coast’s offensive attack and not let them control the clock,” Charest said. “I know our defense is up to the task and we will definitely play our hearts out.”

With a victory, the Eagles will clinch second place in the CSL and improve their playoff seeding. The Eagles hope to experience playing in a home field atmosphere as 200+ students and band members are expected bus in and attend the Coast Union game.

After a day at Cayucos beach as part of campus’ seventh annual beach trip, fans, band members, cheerleaders and the football team will travel to Cambria to meet the Broncos in the last game of the season. Junior varsity begins at 5:30 P.M. while the varsity game kicks off at 7:30 P.M.