Civics visits courthouse, City Hall

To better understand how the court system works, Robert Foshee’s civics class took an educational field trip to the Fresno County courthouse on Oct. 21 and City Hall Nov. 4, 18. The class witnessed trial arraignments, learned more about court proceedings and listened to council debates in their chambers.

The experience was an eye-opener for many students.

“If you talk to the criminals you get arrested,” Kelly (Mini) Maxey, ’04, said. “I never knew that before.”

While visiting the courthouse, students were able to see the accused receive their trial dates.

“They were all wearing orange jumpsuits and had chains and shackles on,” Sharayah Bell, ’04, said. “It was a little boring to watch, but we got out of school for a day, so that made up for it.”

Foshee also planned a civics trip to City Hall on Nov. 4, 18.

“The trip allowed students to see the local government in person,” Foshee said. “We had to go on the tour before we started studying the government; this was the only time it was offered.”

Students agreed the trip was an educational experience.

“On the trip to City Hall?I got to see where the city decisions are made,” Layne Meadows, ’05, said. “We got to sit in on a council meeting and see who represents the City of Fresno.”

Students appreciated the opportunity to see what goes on inside of city politics.

“City Hall is an amazing building inside and out,” Ross Charest, ’05, said. “It was a good experience to see what some of the councilmen do on their job, and how the city’s decisions are made.”

The trip also informed students about local laws and law enforcement.

“I learned that you have to license your dog and you can get it licensed at City Hall,” Matt Tatarian, ’05, said. “I also learned that if you have problems with your neighbor about city limits you can take your problems to City Hall and they will guide you on how to deal with it.”

To learn more about Civic’s trip to the courthouse or to City Hall, contact Foshee at 299-1695, ext. 124.