Football looks forward to playoffs

In a reccurring theme this year, the Eagles varsity football team again saved their season with an unconvincing, yet inspiring, 7-3 victory over Coast Union on Nov. 7.

The Eagles second ranked defense held Central Section second leading rusher Matt Downing to 84 yards. The game was an all out defensive battle; according to head coach Jon Hall.

“Our defense has been the strongest part of the team this year,” Hall said, “especially our run defense. One of our mottos is ?It’s OK to bend but not break’.”

The Eagles were rewarded a No. 6 seed in the Sierra Division playoffs and travel to No. 3 seed Templeton on Nov. 14 for a first round match-up.

“The team is really satisfied with our playoff seeding,” Hall said. “Templeton is a run-heavy team, which plays into our strength. We are expecting the Templeton game to be a lot like the Coast Union game-a tough defensive battle.

“Both teams have many players that play both ways so it might come down to who is in the best shape and who can wear the other team out.”

The boys once again hurt their offensive chances with four turnovers; a common occurrence this season.

“”We have been working on drills all week that press us to keep our hands on the ball,”” fullback Rene Charest, ’04, said. “”Those who handle the ball run through a gauntlet and the other players try to strip the ball from them.””

Quarterback Seth Fisher, ’04, agreed the fumbles have been a problem.

“We have struggled with turnovers all year long,” Fisher said. “However, we are getting better at other aspects of the game every week and we will be ready for Templeton.”

The boys are entering the playoffs with a 6-2 record in the Central Sierra League and 7-3 overall.” “” “” “” “” “Insert text here