• 3/20- Econ Fair @ lunch
  • 41st Annual FCS Auction begins online March 8-13
  • 3/22 - High School Spring Formal

Annual Christmas concert anticipated

The doorbell rings, a group of joyous carolers anxiously await their chance to test their musical abilities. With a loud creak the door slowly swings open and the carolers eagerly begin their rendition of Carol of the Bells.

This favorite holiday carol, performed by a combined group of campus Choir and Ensemble boys, will once again please audiences on Dec. 8 at the annual Christmas Concert featuring the Ensemble, Choir, Band and Jazz Band.

“I like Carol of the Bells, it’s a great holiday song that a lot of people know,” Brandon Cain, ’06, said. “I’m looking forward to singing with the guys in the choir and especially the senior guys.”

A combination of 11 songs from various groups will be performed.

Choir and Ensemble director, Marc Ferguson, looks forward to showcasing the improvement of the Choir since last year.

“The Choir is better this year because we have gained more members and still work well as a single unit,” Ferguson said. “The students sight read better and they learn their music faster. I also feel that they have more enthusiasm than last year.”

Out of the five songs the Choir will be performing, a few stand out as special numbers for the night.

“I am most excited about Deck the Halls; it’s rhythmically challenging and different,” Ferguson said. “I think the students are most excited about Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies; it’s a vocal version of the music.”

Many campus students who have participated in past Christmas concerts know the joys of entertaining audiences with music.

“I’m looking forward to singing Carol of the Bells with the other senior guys,” Seth Fisher, ’04, said. “I’m also looking forward to making the audience smile.”

Many students view the uncoming concert with enthusiasm.

“I always enjoy our Christmas concert,” Alysa Muzny, clarinet player, ’05, said. “It gives us a great chance to show off how much we’ve improved. Its fun to perform the songs we’ve been working on for our families and friends.”

Band director, Paul McEntee, has been working hard with students to prepare several pieces. McEntee feels that the Jazz Band will also be a crowd pleaser.

“The students have worked hard and are continuing to prepare for the concert,” McEntee said. “Listening to the Jazz Band will be a great way to start the concert. They’re going to do well. They are an energetic group that’s fun to listen to.”

David Yancey, percussionist, ’05, enjoys improvising and shaping the music the jazz band plays to his personal style.

“I always look forward to and enjoy Jazz Concerts,” Yancey said. “It is a style of music that you can have fun with and show off.”

The Band will also be accompanying the Choir in a final piece, entitled Peace Peace.

“I am excited about Peace Peace,” Ferguson said. “We do it every year. It’s a tradition. This year the band is joining us; it’s always fun to combine.”

The Christmas Concert will be held at Community Bible Church on Dec. 8 at 7 P.M. Admission is free.

For more information on the campus Band, Jazz Band, Choir or Ensemble go to www.thefeather.com or contact Marc Ferguson at 299-1695, ex. 130.