Campus Learning Center promotes achievement

Spending countless hours on homework and staying up till the wee hours of the morning to get projects done is the life of the academically challenged student. The Fresno Christian Learning Resource Center (LRC) is on campus to change that. By offering a variety of different academic programs, LRC has helped those once challenged students achieve higher grades than ever before.

“LRC is a valuable resource that all students should utilize,” Debbie Siebert, LRC director, said. “No one has an excuse to get a ‘D’ or ‘F’ anymore. Students who are struggling are not alone. There is someone here to help you.”

LRC, now in it’s seventh year, offers five different programs for academic assistance, along with enrichment programs for students of all ages.

Elementary, junior high and high school students can get tutoring on homework, test preparation and organizational strategies from high school seniors or juniors in cross-age tutoring. Students can receive tutoring before or after school depending on the schedule of their designated tutor. Tutoring is also available during the student’s study hall period. Most tutoring sessions last for an hour, but some vary according to the student and tutor’s respective schedules. The high school students who tutor get paid $10 an hour for their services.

“Tutoring fits in well with my schedule,” Jon Howard, ’03, said. “It doesn’t require a lot of after school time during the weekdays and you don’t have to work weekends. Plus the money is good and working with the kids is really fun.”

However, LRC benefits stretch far beyond allowing high school students to get involved.

“Their student tutors are very energetic and willing to help,” Jordan Griffin, ’04, said. “Working with Howard has helped me greatly improve my chemistry grade and please my parents. I have fun and appreciate his help.”

LRC also offers high school students accommodations when taking the PSAT, SAT or ACT tests. Applications are available in the office and because of limited space applying early is recommended.

“LRC is here for you,” Siebert said, “Our instructional classes are very beneficial. Please come and utilize our services.”

For additional information on costs and appointments, contact Siebert at 559-299-1695.