Embarrassing moments: teen trials revealed

Slammed in the face with a ball, publicizing a pair of purple dinosaur underwear, or kissing a complete stranger: common embarrassing stories are a natural part of teen life.

“In eighth grade I went out for the softball team, pretending to know all about the sport, while clearly knowing nothing,” Greg Tharpe, ’04, said. “I was first-basemen, and I was thrown some crazy curve ball.

“I thought it might go over my head, so I jumped up to catch it; that was definitely a mistake. That nutty ball smashed into my face, and I fell into the arms of someone else with blood pouring out of my nose. I never played again.”

Problems with clothing, and the absence of clothing, naturally remain embarrassing.

“I was watching our neighbors’ kids after school one day and they talked me into swinging on the swings with them,” Bonnie Hansen, ’07, said. “Well, I tried to show off for them and jumped off as high as I could.

“My windbreaker pants got caught on the chain when I jumped and were entirely ripped off. I hadn’t done my wash in a while so I was wearing my little brother’s ?Barney loves you’ underwear. Needless to say, they haven’t asked me back to baby-sit.”

Relations are hosts for many embarrassing moments. Sophomore Paul Kinnear is foremost on dating bloopers.

“I once had a girl friend, believe it or not, and we were on a date,” Paul Kinnear, ’06, said. “It was a traditional date, movies and dinner. We both had to use the restroom. Being a male I was rather speedy and got out before her.

“I saw a girl walk out five minutes later with the same red coat. I walked up to her and grabbed her hand and started kissing her ear. To my embarrassment it was a cute old lady out to the movies with her old man. My date snuck out the back and left me. Now that was disgraceful to my reputation.”

A different perspective of high school mishaps may bring a different outlook and help tough situations seem less difficult. Embarrassing as they may be, these instances are not the end of one’s social life.

“I have had a lot of embarrassing things happen to this year, but I don’t care that they happened,” Kyle Brewer, ’07, said. “I think things like that help build character, and it makes you a much more interesting person.”

Embarrassing mishaps are common and happen to many. The wide variety of bloopers, and the knowledge that most everyone experiences them, can give a feeling of comfort to those suffering in agony.” “” “” “” “” “Insert text here