Humor, lyrical wit highlight album

With Christmas coming, it is time to unearth the Christmas CDs that have been hidden under the bed for the past year. Relient K’s new Christmas CD, Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hands, should definitely be on the top of your Christmas list.

Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hands brings 10 Christmas melodies to life with their amusing punk-rock holiday mixes. Three of the CD’s tracks are brand new songs for the group. Song titles such as “Santa Clause is Thumbing to Town,” and “I Hate Christmas Parties” cannot help but make listeners ponder the meaning behind the eluding names.

Even traditional songs like “12 Days of Christmas” have an added twist. In the middle of the song the phrase, “Well, what’s a partridge, and what’s a pear tree? Well I don’t know so please don’t ask me. But, I can bet those are terrible gifts to get,” will keep teens laughing.

Teens often search for Christmas CDs with modernized holiday classics and upbeat tunes, but are seldom found. One as novel as Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hands, should not be passed by.

“It’s a good Christmas CD because it’s good for all audiences, especially younger audiences,” Kaley Hearnsberger, ’06, said. “It’s also good for people who aren’t Christians. They [Relient K] have an appealing way of doing songs.”

Relient K is known for mixing somewhat mindless lyrics with thought-provoking themes.

“Serious songs get the message across,” Hearnsberger said. “But, if all the songs were serious, no one would want to listen to them because it would be depressing. These songs are cool.”

Along with silly lyrics, the band always includes a “hidden” track a few minutes after the last song of each CD. The group adds the amusing track at the end of each CD. It is a great surprise if you keep listening.

If a fast-paced CD is all you seek, Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hands may not be the premium CD for you. A few songs are slower, even sad, but it is still worth it to buy the CD.

“I was listening to the CD and trying to be in a good mood,” Erin Elmore, ’06, said. “I heard the song ?I Hate Christmas Parties’ and it saddened me.”

Although the band has created many unforgettable songs, their style is also unchanging.

“I really like ?The 12 Days of Christmas,'” Elmore added. “I’ve noticed that all their fast songs have the same rhythm. I’ve heard that on their other CDs too. They don’t have enough variety in their rhythm. But, they harmonize really well.

Currently, Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hands can only be bought along with the band’s latest hit project, Two Lefts Don’t Make a Right, But Three Do. If Christmas tunes is all you seek, then you might wait to see if the CD will come out separately.

Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hands can be purchased at Christian music stores for $12.97.

For more on Relient K, visit www.RelientK.com.” “(Courtesy) www.relientk.com/” “Customers who order Relient K’s new third album, Two Lefts Don’t Make a Right, But Three Do, will also receive their Christmas CD, Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hands free.” “” “” “Relient K