Leadership serves annual Christmas breakfast

A resounding cheer from the student leadership rang down the campus halls as teachers arrived to the annual Faculty Appreciation Breakfast on Dec. 9 in the Jackie Johnson hospitality room.

Student leadership arrived on campus at 6 A.M. to prepare a breakfast consisting of eggs, sausage, hash browns and fruit bowls to thank their teachers for their dedication to the school.

While students may not have been thrilled at waking up before dawn, the socializing with other students and serving teachers made up for the early morning rise.

“Helping with the teachers breakfast is something I have enjoyed doing for the past three years,” John Stevenson, ’04, said. “It’s a little hard getting up at 6 A.M., but it was fun to be there with the other student leaders and friends. We also polished off the remaining food after the teachers were finished.”

Stevenson was not the only student who dreaded waking up at the wee hours of the morning.

“I woke up at 5 A.M. and could barely open my eyes but managed to cook eggs without burning them or falling into the pot,” Hillary Kell, ’05, said. “Many teachers even told me the eggs were superb. I am considering selling the recipe.”

Many students enjoyed the experience, even though they initially attended out of obligation.

“I had to go to the breakfast for leadership class,” Tara Thompson, ’04, said. “I really did have fun though and the teachers seemed excited about it. The best part was serving coffee to the staff with Justin Shanen [?04] and Adam Leisle [?04].”

Over 25 faculty and staff members were honored at this years’ breakfast, a number that varies each year.

“Every year the number of teachers is different,” Josh Tosland, student leadership adviser, said. “The size of honored staff all depends on if we invite the junior high faculty. Hopefully in the future, we will be able to have the elementary as well.”

Appreciation for teachers’ perseverance is a significant part of the breakfast.

“The purpose of the Faculty Breakfast is to recognize the hard work the teachers put into their jobs,” Tosland said. “It also tells the teachers that student leadership recognizes them. The breakfast also thanks the faculty for their dedication.”

Teachers enjoy the annual breakfast for a variety of reasons.

“I look forward to the faculty breakfast every year,” Greg Page, dean of men, said. “Personally I think it’s the best breakfast all year because of the interaction with the students and other teachers. I really enjoy being with the students and getting to know them. The variety of great food every year is also something I look forward to and enjoy.”

Not only did the breakfast provide the teachers with recognition and enjoyment, but also was eye-opening for the students.

“It was cool to see the students cooking because many of them have never done it before,” Tosland said. “Seeing them go into the kitchen and experience what their parents do daily was pretty neat.”

The annual faculty appreciation breakfast gives the students’ a chance to express their gratitude for their teachers and provides interaction between those who participate.

For more information on upcoming school events, go to www.fresnochristian.com, scroll down to School News and click on HS daily news.