Brass band jazzes up basketball

With the acclaimed reputations of jazz bands past looming in the shadows, this years’ group seeks to create its own reputation. Performing in the wake of last year’s accomplishments, the jazz band appears ready to create a new generation of musicians.

Jan. 13th’s basketball game would seem to have assuaged any doubts as to the talents of the band. A pulsating beat and brass force reverberated through the gym during every break.

With nearly the full repertoire of the past three years, this new crew of musicians keeps tradition and plays for varsity home basketball games. They arrive on campus daily at 7 A.M. for rehearsals in preparation for the upcoming schedule.

“This class is worth coming to school at 7 A.M.,” Nick Westburg, ’05, said. “Mr. [Paul] Mac is a lot of fun and has a really weird sense of humor. The class is relaxed but down to business, and I love the songs we play.”

Westburg is new to the school this year. He plays guitar in the band and has played since elementary.

Veterans of the class have seen more accomplished groups but think highly of this year’s class.

“I had low expectations for this year,” Ben Daniels, ’04, said. “I’m proud to be disproved. This group has really come through and made musical strides. I’m especially proud of the trumpet section.”

The band this year features six saxophones and apparently the sound of this onslaught of woodwind outdoes the three-sax sound of last year.

“The jazz band this year sounds every bit as good as last year,” Alyssa Muzny, ’05, said. “At the games we play loud. Having a huge saxophone section really does give us a big sound.”

Jazz band members are excited to show what they’re made of and hope that many will attend their performances.

“Come out and see us,” McEntee, director of campus bands, said. “We’ve put in a lot of time and work, and it’s paid off. This group is really taking off and I think it can be the best we’ve had yet!”

Jazz band will be performing at every varsity home basketball game and all varsity playoff games. Dates for upcoming games are Jan. 27, Jan. 30, Feb. 3, Feb. 10, and Feb. 17. Visit www.fresnochristian.com for more information.