Leadership hosts disco skate

While skaters clench their fists, bend their knees and attempt to maintain their balance on four wheels, the thought of falling and suffering the ultimate embarrassment is ever present in their minds.

Round and round students glide in the roller rink as the lights reflect from the disco ball and shine in their eyes.

The varsity boys’ basketball team will host Fowler on Jan. 30 at 7:30 P.M. Following the game students will reunite at Cal Skate in Clovis at 10 P.M. for an evening of roller-skating sponsored by student leadership.

Despite low sign ups in the beginning, the leadership group pressed on and lowered the entrance fee from $7 to $5. If students show up and are not on the list and did not previously pay, the price will be $7 instead of the $5 price.

“We wanted a fun evening with lots of people so we lowered the price to encourage more students to come,” Josh Tosland, student leadership adviser, said. “So far we have about 55 to 60 students who have paid so we should have a great turn out.”

Administration will not provide transportation to Cal-Skate. Ride arrangements must be made independently.

“I love skating, even though I fall a lot,” Christa Williams, ’05, said. “I’m thinking about tying a pillow to my bottom so it won’t hurt as much. But I’ll definitely be there.”

Many students anticipate an exciting evening of safe skating with fellow schoolmates outside of the school atmosphere.

“I’m just going because my friends made me sign up,” Perri Potigian, ’07, said. “But it’ll be a lot of fun!”

Fellow student leadership advisers will be present as chaperones including Eunie McEntee, Ericlee Gilmore and Tosland.

Other students are disappointed that they cannot skate but are hopeful for a second chance.

“I really wish I could go because me and Cal Skate are like best friends,” Josh Wright, ’05, said. “Oh well, next time.”

Future student leadership sponsored activities will be a new student luncheon on Feb. 12 and the West Sierra League Talent Show on Feb. 18.

For more information on student leadership and other campus groups and activities, parents and students can contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5.