Boys continue fight for WSL title

After their victory over Riverdale on Jan. 16, the boys’ basketball team has won three of four league games and has solidified their standing in the West Sierra League [WSL].

Currently in third place, a game behind Caruthers for second, the boys are still within a game and a half of first place Firebaugh.

“We definitely are still in the running for the league title,” head coach Mike Neal said. “We have played some hard games and suffered a few losses but our team is only getting stronger.”

However, with only seven WSL games remaining, every game becomes essential to the Eagles title chances, according to junior shooting guard and leading scorer Ross Charest.

“We have left ourselves very little chance for failure since we already have two losses,” Charest said. “Every game is important now and we need to start playing our best basketball right now.”

The Eagles missed a golden opportunity to capture first place when they lost at home 67-48 to Firebaugh on Jan. 27. The loss left the boys’ record at 5-2 in WSL play.

The boys open the second half of WSL play at home against Fowler on Jan. 30. According to junior forward Layne Meadows, a victory over the Redcats would jumpstart the Eagles momentum for the rest of league play.

“Beating Fowler will give us confidence and momentum,” Meadows said. “It will also help our league record and help us keep pace with Caruthers and Firebaugh.”

Tip-off for the Fowler game is at 7:30 P.M.