Drama relieves stress with earnest

With books piled up to the ceiling, anger and resentment present constant obstacles to overcome. Many people deal with stress in their day-to-day life, but how does one remove it?

The drama club on campus is performing ?The Importance of Being Ernest,? by Oscar Wilde. Director Tom McEntee chose this particular play for its entertainment value.

??The Importance of Being Ernest? is a fun play that appeals to everyone,? McEntee said. ?We chose this play because it is fun and the kids love it. There is no real point, but gives entertainment to those who need it.?

Those who participate in the play find differences in the characters they play compared to their usual performances.

?I play an old British women named Lady Bracknell,? Claire Kister, ?08, said. ?I did not especially like being a sixty year British old women. The dress I have to wear is different, but it was nice to play someone who is drastically different than me.?

Besides nationality and age differences, various actors found it difficult to relate because of their personality.

?I play Ernest and he is in love with Lady Bracknell?s daughter,? Chris White, ?05, said. ?My character has many canister motives. He is always trying to marry women he does not know.?

Many actors and actresses found their experiences in this play to be interesting and to provide a learning experience.

?It is cool to have accents and playing a butler is also interesting to do,? Jason Harris, ?07, said. ?It is a break from what we usually do and gives the audience a chance to relax and relieves people from their stressed lives.?

The drama club practiced their performance on the student body during chapel on April 7.

?I think the performance was well done,? Rachel Bell,?07, said. ?The characters were unique and had personality. It was an unusual play, it gave variety to the previous performances.?

The drama performance will be held at Fresno City College and at the Drama Dessert Auction on Apr. 25. For more information contact McEntee at 299-1695, ext. 134 or at [email protected].