FCA Huddle Olympics to compete on campus

Christian athletes from across the valley gather to participate in the fourth annual huddle Olympics. More than 300 students from 30 different schools are anticipated to attend. FC athletes will be hosting the Huddle Olympics this year. The Olympics will occur on Nov. 3 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“We have good enough athletes that we can hold against the bigger schools,” Ericlee Gilmore, FCA director, said. “On our own turf we should be able to make Fresno Christian known.”

While Gilmore is excited about the upcoming competition, many athletes on campus are also hyped for the event.

“This will be my first year in the Huddle Olympics,” Michelle Smith, ’04, said. “I can’t wait to meet people from different schools who are involved with FCA. I also want our school to win against the big schools, that would be cool.”

Four scholarships to FCA summer camp will be given to the Olympic winners. The scholarship is worth of $350. Many athletes feel this is a great reward for winning the Olympics.

“I think it’s really cool that they will give away the scholarship to the FCA summer camp,” Josh Wright, ’05, said. “It would be fun to go with the team that I will be in competition with.”

The athletes not only get to have a fun time on campus, but also are able to have fellowship with other Christian athletes while attending a Fresno State football game following the Olympics. Many of the athletes feel that the cost for the huddle Olympics is miniscule to the amount of fun that will take place.

“The Huddle Olympics purpose is to bring FCA huddles from around the valley together,” Joe Broussard, FCA head director, said. “It’s a great time for FCA participants to bring their non-Christian friends to have fun.”

According to its website, FCA is an influencing ministry, using athletics as its platform and athletes and coaches as its role models and spokespersons to reach the world influenced by athletics. FCA began its ministry in 1954.

Each athlete who participates in the Huddle Olympics must make a payment of $10 to attend the Olympics. Those who participate in the football game and Olympics must pay $20.

“I don’t mind paying the money because I think it is going to be a great experience with Christian athletes all over the Valley,” Sam Babcock, ’02, said. “It’s going to be a cool way to get closer with people from my school and other schools.”

As the athletes look forward to attending the Huddle Olympics, they were also excited about an FCA night out at Camelot Park on Oct. 22. There athletes challenged each other in miniature golf, racing the go-carts, laser tag and played arcade-style games.

“I had a great time at Camelot,” Bryan Casey, ’03, said. “It’s was a fun way to hang out with my friends and relax.”

In addition to going to these events, the FCA hosts breakfasts where students can come and enjoy fellowship before school with their peers. The next FCA breakfast will be on Nov. 11 at 7 a.m. in room T-102.

“At many schools around the valley there is a bible study once a week on campus either before school or during lunch to share the gospel,” Broussard, said. “FCA is the largest youth club in the country and has been around for 47 years.” On campus FCA hosts many of the same things as other schools around the valley.

“Come in fellowship with athletic friends,” Gilmore said, “and experience how God can work in your life. There are people who need your help. There will be free breakfast, fun, games, and prizes for attendance too!”

For more information on the Fellowship of Christian Athletes or FCA Huddles, go to www.fca.org for more information.

For additional information on upcoming FCA events on campus, contact Gilmore through the high school office at 559-297-9464 extention 125.