Recipients ""crush""-ed for love

Heart-shaped boxes of candy and bouquets of roses can be seen all over town as consumers prepare for the day of love. It is February and the spirit of Valentine’s Day is already being felt on campus.

On campus, student leadership and CJSF (Central Junior Scholarship Federation) will continue to celebrate the special day with some old and new traditions.

Student leadership is hosting a fundraiser entitled Orange Crush. Students can buy an Orange Crush soda accompanied by an original poem for $1 and send it to their special someone. If the recipient is curious, they can then pay $2 more to find out who sent it to them.

“I think the orange crush fund-raiser is a cute idea,” Josh Tosland, teacher organizing the O.C. fundraiser, said. “Its creative and anonymous, unless the person wants to pay a little extra.”

During the week following V-day, student leadership will be hosting a poll for the four courses of the Night-of-the-Stars meal.

“We couldn’t decide which meal to have for NOTS, so we thought it would be more fun to let the student body decide,” Tara Thompson, ’04, said. “Each day during the week leading up to Valentine’s Day they will get to pick one course of the meal.”

Another way to express appreciation for a friend or significant other is the tried and true tradition of candy grams. They are bags of candy with a heart shaped notes delivered on the Friday before the big day. CJSF puts on this fundraiser every year to buy books for under privileged children.

“Candy grams are a great idea,” Brennan Gust, ’05, said. “You can send a cool gift and donate money to little kids at the same time. It is a big time saver too because you don’t even have to go shopping.”

All the money from the fundraisers goes to specific causes like the book drive for CJSF or the leadership account for Orange Crush. The money that goes to the account will be circulated back to the student body through Sadie Hawkins and other school events.