Bible board games reinforce class lessons

Reading and memorizing become a daunting task as one struggles to learn new material. Creating inventive ways to memorize and learn is something that Ellen King, Bible teacher, has done for her students.

After reading I & II Samuel and I Kings, the students created trivia board games with questions based on the material they learned.

?The purpose is to reinforce what they learned,? King said. ?It is a way to review the material that they have learned and prepare for the final. It is a fun way for them to apply these books they learned.?

The games brought out the creativity in many students. They formed groups and spent many hours thinking of ideas for their project. Their hard work paid off as they showed their finished products to their classmates.

?We created the Gummy-land game, we got the idea from the board game Candy land,? Haley Tamberi, ?07, said. ?Thinking of the questions was challenging, but it helped me learn it a lot better then just studying on my own, it was fun too.?

Although many enjoyed creating an original board game, some struggled with the idea and found the project challenging.

?It is hard for me to be creative so I struggled with this,? Brad Smittcamp,?06, said. ? It was a good thing that we were in groups because we each could use our strengths to do different things in the game.?

The students presented their finished projects to the class on April 14. To view these one-of-a-kind board games, contact King at [email protected] or through the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5.