New student luncheon encourages involvement

New students filtered into the Jackie Johnson room on Feb. 12. Nervously, the newcomers gathered around provided tables, wondering why exactly they were giving up their lunch period.

Suddenly, the familiar aroma of pepperoni permeated throughout the room and recognizable Costco pizza boxes were carried toward the tables.

Welcoming new students seems to be a regular routine for those already familiar with the campus. Student leadership assumes this role by inviting new comers to biannual pizza lunches.

“The purpose of the lunch is to welcome new students and to make them feel important and wanted,” Ericlee Gilmore, student leadership adviser, said. “Anyone can do the new student lunch but student leadership does it because we as leaders want to welcome others.”

Incoming students appreciate student leadership’s friendly service provided by the luncheon.

“Everyone was friendly and welcoming,” Cherice Kuest, ’05, said. “Everyone talked and introduced themselves.”

For some moving from one school to another can be rough so a welcome lunch seems to help break the ice for students.

“Switching schools can be a rough transition,” Carson Belmont, ’05, said. “We [student leadership] try to make the move a smooth as possible. I really enjoy participating in the lunches because I get to know the new students and we all get food!”

Not only do student leaders enjoy the lunch, new students seem to find it welcoming and entertaining.

“I enjoyed the lunch a lot because it made me feel like people really wanted me at this school,” Corey Maxey, ’06, said. “I’m glad I came to FC because I feel more comfortable here than at my old school. Everyone here seems much more friendly and the people definitely act more Christian.”

While those newer to campus feel better plugged-in after the lunch, others require more than pizza to win them over.

“I thought that the student lunch was a good way to meet new people,” Brittany Gunderson, ’07, said. “But I still like my old school better because all my friends are there. I hopefully will not come back next year because I’m bored here.”

Unlike last semester, there were fewer newcomers to campus this quarter. As a result, the student turnout to the lunch was smaller.

“When we had the lunch first semester, we had a lot more students there,” Gilmore said. “I feel that the first lunch was better because we put a lot more work into it.”

New student lunches are held twice a year by student leadership. Last semester, the lunch was on Sept. 17th during fifth period. To find out more about first semesters lunch, go to the article “Students welcome with food, fun and fellowship” written by Matthew Karahadian on Sept. 17, 2003 on www.thefeather.com.

For more information on upcoming school events, go to the announcements icon on this website or go online to www.fresnochristian.com, scroll down to the Classrooms icon and click on HS Daily News.