Saving for college education takes motivation

“How are we ever going to be able to pay for that?” These desperate words echo through homes across the country as college bound students begin investigating college costs.

Many of the dreams and goals of students tend to diminish once they realize that the cost of college is far beyond their financial reach. Consequently, many families rely on financial aid to cover the costs of advanced education.

“Saving for college is an important thing for students and parents to do,”” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “”Financial aid will not cover both college tuition and supply costs, although many people tend to think so. It also helps students academically when they know that their parents are saving for a better, more successful future for them.”

With an account set aside for college, students may feel encouraged to work harder in high school academics in order to put the money saved to good use.

“I work as hard as I can and sign up for anything that will help me to get into the best college,” Hanna Wilhelm, ’07, said. “My parents motivate me to do well, and it feels good knowing that they have set aside their own money for my college education.”

Some students feel it is their responsibility to help their parents pay for their education by getting part time jobs.

“The money I earn will be able to help my parents with all of the costs of college,” Jeremy Price, ’04, said. “I know it is a lot of money, so I figured my parents would not mind some help.”

Even with their savings, some students still cannot afford the numerous college expenses. Applying for scholarships that will help to cover the costs of college can be an essential part of the college preparation process.

“I hope to receive a scholarship so I will not have to take out some kind of loan that will take a lot of time and money to repay,” Laura Berg, ’04, said. “It would pleasing and rewarding to receive one, plus it would help me out a lot.”

Former graduates understand the importance of saving for college as they continue to progress through college using the money they had been saving for years.

“It is important to start saving as soon as possible so you do not find your self having to pass college up because of a lack of money,” Rebekah Snow, ’02, said. “It is really important to save for college, even if you don’t really think so in high school.”

According to www.finaid.org, college tuition is raised by 8% each year. California State University, Fresno, tuition has been raised around $600 each year over the past four years.

For more information on scholarships, loans, and saving for college, go to www.fastweb.com or www.finaid.org. If guidance is needed for information on college or saving, Endicott is available for counseling at 299-1695, ext.126.