Local paper to recognize Academic Stars

Often athletes are the only students recognized for their achievements. However those who are diligent and work hard in academics now have the opportunity to be presented as Academic All-Stars to the community.

For nine years The Fresno Bee has recognized Academic All Stars in the Central Valley from grades 1-12.

According to information provided by Toni Wooten, The Fresno Bee confidential secretary, the competition was started in an effort to shine a spotlight on children’s accomplishments.

Teachers in the Valley send recommendations to The Fresno Bee of students who stand out in the classroom. In the teachers’ opinions, these students are qualified to be Academic All Stars and deserve recognition.

“I always nominate a student who I think fits the model of being an Academic All Star,” Molly Sargent, English department head, said. “However, I think the program is kind of silly because the judges seem to already have a certain type of student chosen in their heads.

“The students that are picked certainly look good on paper, but whether they really are what they seem is less certain.”

A panel of judges from the education community and Fresno Bee employees will evaluate nominated students. One student from each grade level will be chosen as an All Star and have their biography printed in The Fresno Bee.

The nominees will be judged on their academic achievement, involvement in the community and leadership in and out of school.

“I was honored that I was nominated as an Academic All Star,” Kristin Dunne, ’04, said. “It makes me feel special that I was chosen and hopefully I will be picked out of all the Valley students and have my name in the newspaper.”

All nominations are to be sent to The Fresno Bee/Academic All-Stars P.O. Box 12504 Fresno, Ca 93778-2504 or through fax: (559) 441-6436 by March 5. Nominations can also be made online at www.Fresnobee.com.

For more information about Academic All-Stars, students and parents can contact Toni Wooten at (559) 441-6445.” “” “” “” “” “Insert text here