French class celebrates Mardi Gras

The usual dictation and recitation of French class were replaced with music and games as French I students celebrated Mardi Gras for the first time in campus history on Feb. 24.

“French I classes celebrated Mardi Gras with a party and games,” Mark Ferguson, French teacher, said. “Through this, they were able to learn about French culture and its influence in the New Orleans area.”

Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday. It is a celebration in which people eat and party one last time before Lent. Lent is a 40-day period of time in which many Christians and Catholics give up pleasures such as chocolate, candy and television in order to focus more clearly on the Lord’s sacrifice.

Holly Furtado and Bethany Morton, both ’06, planned the event and brought all the food and games.

“We wanted to celebrate a holiday that originated in France because people often don’t know the actual tradition of Mardi Gras,” Morton said. “This experience showed students what it actually is about, not the dirty and perverse image that comes to mind when most people think of Mardi Gras.””

Though some students liked the idea of celebrating Mardi Gras, some did not think Morton and Furtado would follow through.

“When Bethany and Holly said that they were going to plan it and bring food I didn’t actually think they were going to follow through,” Kyle Brewer, ’07, said. “But I’m glad they did. It was fun and I would like to do something like that again.”

For more information, contact Ferguson at 297-9464, ext. 130.
” “Holly Furtado, Guest photographer” “With Mardi Gras masks already distributed, left to right, Brittney Motte, ’07, Angela Kutnerian, ’06, Kyle Brewer, ’07 and Bethany Morten, ’06, play a bead word game in French I class on Feb. 24.” “Holly Furtado, Guest photographer” “French teacher Marc Ferguson made sure students were using appropriate French language in French I during the Fat Tuesday party on Feb. 24. AnnaLynn Graham, ’07, right, also tries to catch a peer using incorrect language during one of the games.” “Insert text here