Senior nominated for national award

With the school year winding down, seniors begin to receive scholarships from varying organizations. The Daughters of the American Revolution [DAR] is an organization that awards scholarships to outstanding students.

DAR awards one scholarship to one male and female student each year. In order to win the scholarship, the nominated student must compete in an essay contest.

During the month of March, DAR chose Michelle Nachtigall, ’04, to participate in this competition after being nominated by the administration to enter the contest.

“Michelle was chosen because of her good citizenship, her writing ability and her integrity,” John Endicott, vice principal, said, “The administration felt that she is a good representation of the school.”

The news of the nomination came as a shock to Nachtigall.

“I was kind of surprised,” Nachtigall said. “When I learned more about the competition I felt that there was nothing to lose so I went for it.”

Writing the essay on the impact of the American Revolution on society came as challenge to Nachtigall.

“Not knowing the topic until I sat down to write made it more difficult,” Nachtigall said. “But I tried my best and had no regrets.”

Although DAR did not select her to continue in the competition, she feels glad she competed.

“I didn’t really have anything to lose,” Nachtigall said. “I would have liked to have won, but it doesn’t matter. I am glad that I entered.”

For more information, students can visit www.dar.org or contact Endicott at 297-9464, ext. 126.