8-man football flourishes in third season

Coach Fuller praying before game time.
[/media-credit] Coach Mick Fuller prays before game time against Anzar High, Sept. 11.
After coaching for 12 years, Coach Mick Fuller has adapted to an entirely different atmosphere of football. FC Football was moved to 8-man football in the 2013-2014 season. There has been a lot of controversy from people about this move and whether FC football would still be “actual” football.

“Initially it was challenging to get the FC community to accept what some people erroneously believe is not ‘real’ football,” Fuller said. “However, the administration realized that for player safety, returning to FC’s 8-man football roots was the right thing to do. In the first season, people realized that the game is not very different; the players block, tackle and run just as hard, the hits and big plays can be just as exciting, top athletes can receive recognition and interest from college recruiters. The FC community is coming to understand that 8-man football is a good fit for our school and our student athletes.”

Senior Tyler Breedlove was on the first team of 8-man football, and talks about the transition.

“I think Fresno Christian made the transition really well,” Breedlove, said. “Making the Valley and section championship in the first two years, I think Coach Fuller has done a fine job. Playing on the team for three years has been pretty fun. Overall I think this upcoming season will be our best so far.”

After losing two championships in a row, the FC football program is doing everything it can to bring home a trophy for the FC community.

Coach Fuller expected a lot from his team last year and prepared the best they could to win the championship.

“Last year we worked all season toward the goal of playing in the championship,”Fuller said. “We developed our game plan gradually, every week working on new concepts that we would implement in the final contest. When we played the game, we were well prepared and executed the offensive game plan.”

The Eagles only lost two games the entire season.

Slater Wade carries the ball for a first down.
[/media-credit] Slater Wade carries the ball for a first down against the Coast Union Broncos.
“A couple of injuries forced us to change personnel and we couldn’t quite hold on to the lead,” Fuller said. “The opponent played better at the end of the game and earned the victory. It was the best high school football game I’ve ever experienced as a player, coach or fan.”

The last two years, Christopher Kollenkark, ’16, has been a pivotal part of the eagles success. He says that there is no difference between the two types of football.

“There is a a lot of controversy regarding 8-man football,” Kollenkark said. “Some people say that there is no difference between 11 man football and 8-man besides three less players; other people say that it is not real football in general.8-man and 11-man are both football. The players both go hard, it’s still tackle. Yes there are less players on the field, two less lineman and a couple of defensive backs, but we are still playing hard football, we still got the passion so yeah it is real football all around.”

After the devastating lose, Coach Fuller has made improvements to his plans.

“This year we are taking the same approach: developing our system, our skills and our team chemistry,” Fuller said. “We will study film, strategize and plan how to take on our opponent to maximize our opportunities for victory and success. At the same time we don’t want to take anything for granted.”

Since converting to 8-man, Coach Fuller has had a very successful career but hasn’t been able to bring home that trophy. His expectations this year would be for his team to strive for excellence.

“Every year I expect three things: the boys give their best effort every day, that we seek to glorify Christ in everything that we do on and off the field and that we win as many games as we are able to, given our talents and abilities,” Fuller said. “Expectations are great for setting goals and striving for excellence.  Most of our expectations will be altered or will go unmet altogether, but the way we react to unforeseen obstacles and unmet expectations reveals our character.”

The FC football program has been striving for greatness the entire time they switched to 8 -man. They have fallen short of the ultimate goal, but this may finally be the year the Eagles bring home the trophy.