SAT registration dates draw near

The Standardized Aptitude Test [SAT] strikes fear into the hearts of many college bound students. With the hopes of scholarships, grants and financial aid resting on a single score, hours are often spent reviewing vocabulary words and math formulas.

Early Saturday morning the cafeteria begins to fill with students clutching freshly sharpened number two pencils. Eager to put the knowledge crammed into their brains to use, nervous chatter echoes off tiled floors and high ceilings as the students await the announcement that the test is about to begin.

“The SAT test is important for getting into college as well as obtaining a beneficial financial aid offer,” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “Often if your SAT scores are higher, you can receive money through scholarships and grants from colleges.”

Obtaining financial aid is critical for some students planning to go to college.

“I have two younger siblings who still have to go through junior high and high school here,” Melissa Jimenez, ’05, said. “My family is counting on my getting financial aid to pay for college.”

Students employ various study aids to boost SAT scores.

“I’m planning to take the online practice test to prepare for the test,” Alysa Muzny, ’05, said. “I think getting acquainted with the test will help me do better, I’m also reviewing vocabulary words and math facts.”

The SAT will undergo major changes in March 2005 aimed at the class of 2006. More reading passages and a written essay will replace the often-feared analogies. Concepts from Algebra II will augment the Algebra I and Geometry already included in the test.

Endicott also recommends taking the Practice Scholastic Aptitude Test [PSAT] to test skills before taking the SAT.

“All sophomores and juniors that are planning on going to college should take this test [PSAT],” Endicott said. “It is an excellent prep for the real thing and for juniors it could result in a big scholarship.”

The PSAT will be offered on campus in October 2004, for $10.

Students must register for the SAT by Mar. 25 for the May 1 test date and by April 29 for the June 5 date. Registration is available online at www.collegeboard.com.

For more information about the SAT’s contact Endicott at (559) 299-1695 ext. 126 or go to www.thefeather.com and search the archives for SAT Test.