Annual auction generates revenue, excitement

Mothers argued with each other over who could bid the highest and win a quilt created by the kindergarten kids last year at the annual auction.

Every year during spring, the campus hosts the FC Annual Auction to raise money for books and help fund campus construction.

“We try to raise at least $50,000 every year,” Gary Warkentin, business administrator, said. “Some of the money goes in to enrich our school program and the other half goes into the future development of the school.”

The 21st annual FC Auction will be held on Mar. 27 in the gymnasium.

“The auction is an opportunity for parents and people in the Valley to experience the community of FC,” Warkentin said.

For 14 years, Wayne Huggins has given the school his time and service as an auctioneer. Huggins is a professional auctioneer and offers his skills as a donation to the school.

“The FC Auction is a way for me to give back to the school and the community,” Huggins said. “Years ago I became a Christian at Peoples Church and donating my time to the auction is a small way I can help the school grow. The growth of Fresno Christian Schools is impressive and important to me. I love being an auctioneer for the kids.”

Items given as a donation vary from gift certificates and entertainment packages to jewelry and vacation packages.

“This is my 4th year calling business’ around the Valley and in California asking them if they could donate items,” Dr. Rick Elmore, father of Alex, ’05, and Erin, ’06, said. “I usually donate books and glass wear for the auction. I feel like I want to do my best to make the auction successful because it is one of the big fundraisers that FC has.”

The FC Auction is recommended to students as a way to complete their five hours of community service due at each semester.

“I needed community service hours and I heard students could get all five hours by working at the auction,” Marcy Froese, ’04, said. “I thought serving at the auction was fun and I am going to do it again this year.”

Those students donating time at the FC Auction will welcome people, sell raffle tickets and help close the silent auction tables.

“It’s nice to see students wanting to donate their time to help our school,” Principal Gary Schultz said. “The service of the students is very much appreciated.”

The auction will be held on March 27 from 5:00 – 9:00 P.M. For ticket reservations or donations, call 299-1695, ext. 100 or visit the school’s website at www.fresnochristian.com for more information.

For more information about hiring Huggins as an auctioneer, contact him at (559) 285-1283 or e-mail at [email protected].