Girls' softball encourages novices

As the girls’ softball team walked out onto the diamond for their first practice, their work was plainly cut out for them. They discovered that half of the team had never picked up a baseball glove before!

Coaches Greg Page and Mike Thomas, who have returned to coaching after eight years, found themselves with a young team, but hopes of a successful season hold strong.

Given only a short amount of time of preparation before the first game, the team worked together to help everybody become a better player.

“The team can pull through, but it depends on the kind of attitude they put into the game,” Page said. “We have a young team, and it is more difficult to teach them instead of building up a team that is returning and more experienced.”

During the first couple practices the returning players found themselves working to improve the younger players, instead of building up their own skills.

“We do a lot of encouraging,” shortstop Hillary Kell, ?05, said. “The team needs encouragement and a lot of help. The more we encourage our younger players, the more confident they become, and the better they will play.”

The younger players are working hard to obtain skills.

“I signed up for softball because I heard that the team has had a lot of fun in the past and it is a great sport to play,” second baseman Jessica Berg, ?07, said. “I had never played before, but I have stayed because I enjoy playing and the team shows a lot of motivation to play and to teach the younger players.”

Although the younger players have improved some and gained skill quickly, the team found themselves unprepared as the Modesto Tournament drew nearer.

“The tournament gave us an opportunity to actually play,” Page said. “We got to see the girls and how they would react to all of the game situations.”

The girls struggled to reach their potential during the tournament.

“The tournament gave us game experience that we couldn’t get at our practices,” pitcher Sara Weins,’04, said. “It showed us where we should improve.”

As the girls worked hard to overcome their weaknesses on the field, they found their efforts paid off as they defeated Laton and CVC.

“I just kept talking to the newer players,” Weins said. “Since most of them are new, they can use the help and instruction, but they also need a lot of encouragement.”

The next game will be a home game on Mar. 22 against Caruthers.