Choir to journey across the high seas

Visions of a crystal blue ocean and warm sandy beaches dance in the heads of choir and ensemble members. This fine arts group will be traveling to Oahu on Mar. 23-28 for their annual spring tour.

“We’re excited to go back to Hawaii this year,” Judy Johnson, accompanist, said. “We had so much fun touring there two years ago that we had to go back.”

During the tour, choir will be singing for many different audiences including two rest homes, church services, a luau and a special workshop at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

“I love singing for rest homes because the people are so appreciative,” Jenny Ficklin, ’04, said. “”I love talking and getting to know the people afterwards because they all have such interesting stories.”

At the luau, the choir will be singing a special Hawaiian piece a cappella entitled Hosana Nui Ia Iesu.

“I love the Hawaiian song,” Julianne Erkenbrecher, ’06, said. “It is so pretty and it sounds even better a cappella.”

Besides performances, students have big plans for their free time including trips to Pearl Harbor, parasailing and moonlit dinner cruises.

“I can’t wait until we have our free time because I really want to try parasailing,” Hillary Kell, ’05, said. “I also want to go to Pearl Harbor because I think it will be a really eye-opening experience.

Somewhat dampening the happy thoughts of parasailing and Hawaiian shopping sprees is the realization that the trip costs about $664. Choir members have been spotted around campus carrying red cardboard boxes full of chocolate bars to help earn the funds.

“This trip is costing roughly $1000 including spending money,” Kassy Batesole, ’06, said. “I have been working hard to raise all the money over the past few months, and I’ve almost reached my goal.”

Although many students are excited for the upcoming trip, a hint of sadness can be felt too. This will be choir director Marc Ferguson’s last trip because next year he will be leaving the school.

“I want this trip to be memorable because it will be my last one,” Ferguson, said. “I hope that while on this trip I can get to know the students better and build relationships with them so that when I leave I’ll take something with me.”

For more information about the choir or ensemble, contact Ferguson at 297-9464, ext. 130.