Students bond through music, competition

The drama team scurried off the stage, the audience’s applause faded and anxious concert band members silently carried their instruments and chairs onto the floor. The band performed along with drama, choir, jazz band, and color guard at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium on March 11.

Band members agree the performance was a success.

“I think we did really well,” saxophonist Aaron Ortiz,’07, said. “It was interesting seeing all the different people and groups perform.”

After 2 hours of watching other groups the band presented their melodies in the second to last performance of the night. They played two instrumental tunes: “On a Hymnsong of Lowell Mason” and “In the Forest of the King”.

“We performed very well,” trombonist Will Hierholzer, ’07, said. “It was enjoyable to be there with the other band members”

The band took a trip to compete against other bands in the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) band festival held at Monte Vista Christian School in Watsonville on March 13.

“I thought the band festival was really fun,” Hierholzer said. “I thought it was fun to play with different bands and age groups.”

After a three-hour bus ride the students competed and were awarded first place by the judges. After eight hours in their concert uniforms, the band members finally departed from Watsonville and arrived back in Fresno at around midnight.

“It was a fun experience,” percussionist Dave Yancey, ’05, said. “We took first place which is always good. And I always enjoy the bus rides!”

The band’s next trip will be to perform at the Biola University competition, April 22-24.

Students look forward to the annual trip.

“I cannot wait until the Biola trip!” Hierholzer said. “I look forward to playing with the Biola brass ensemble again. It will also be interesting to see how we do competing against larger schools.”

The band next competes in the California Musical Educators Association (CMEA) band festival at Bullard High School on April 1.

For more information on future band events, call Paul McEntee, band director, at 297-9464, ext. 131.