College workshop takes guesswork out of application

A prized goal for many high school students is college, but this prize is not easily attained. The College and Career Planning Night for juniors and seniors has become a tradition at FC and will be held on Oct. 29. PSN and the vice principal’s office has sponsored the event for many years.

“For seniors planning to attend college, this seminar will answer most if not all of their questions,” Vice Principal Ginger Niemeyer said. “It also will give juniors a head start on applying for and going through the college process.”

This practical workshop is essential for parents and students interested in attending a college or university of their choice.

Information will be given on: what an admission’s advisor looks for in an application; how to write an effective essay; what to expect from a college professor; where to find scholarship resources and what FC grads say about their first year in college.

“From what I’ve heard, it sounds like a very educational, informational and beneficial experience,” Josh Justin, ’03, said. “This is a good opportunity for people to change their future college career for the better.”

A college admission’s professor and a faculty member from FSU will be present to assist the students by answering questions and providing any additional information they might be interested in. A mystery returning FC graduate will be attending the workshop as well.

“I’m going mostly for information on scholarships, both academic and athletic,” Jennifer Jesser, ’02, said. “I’d like to go to Pacific or Masters, or something along those lines. There are going to be a lot of people there that will be able to answer my questions, so I plan on leaving with a more solid idea of my college future.”

The Oct. 29 workshop will be held at 7:00 p.m. in the Jackie Johnson Hospitality Room located in Building 6. For sophmores and freshmen, a college night is being planned in the spring. For any additional information contact Niemeyer in the high school office.