Auction exceeds expectations

As the bidding frenzy escalated for footballs, trading cards and jerseys signed by Trent Dilfer, FCS’ fundraising goal was well on its way to doubling during the 21st annual FCS Auction on March 27.

“This was the most incredible auction in all my years at FC,” superintendent Tim Wilkins said. “The money that was raised was not the only thing that brought joy to the night, but the fact that there were more people there that were new to the school and to the experience.””

As an ex-Fresno State standout and father of one FCS student, Dilfer attended the event and created an unique atmosphere.

“”Trent Dilfer came to the auction not as a superstar, but as a father of his daughter donating his time to help the school,”” Wilkins said. “”Trent brought in about $14,000 for FC that night.””

The auction raised over $101,000, which more than doubled the initial fundraising goal of $50,000. The added revenue will be used to enhance the schools programs and provide for the future development of a new building on campus.

“This year has been the highest gross from all the years,” Gary Warkentin, FC business administrator, said. “Breaking $100,000 is a great milestone. After all the expenses are covered we will then see how much we made as profit.”

Of all the money raised, $20,000 is expected to go towards updating campus programs while the rest is directed towards future construction of the campus.

As the ’04 auction grossed well over the yearly fundraising goal, hopes are high for the ’05 auction.

“We at FCS would like to be motivated off of the success of this year’s auction,” auction emcee George Freeman said. “I want next year to be as good as it was this year or even better.”

Serving at the FC Auction was a way for students to complete the five hours of community service due at each semester. According to Freeman, the work of the students was appreciated and without their help the auction would not run as smoothly as it did.

“I offered to help with the auction because I needed community service,” Ross Charest,’05, said. “I held up things on the stage that were being auctioned off. It was easy and entertaining and I am planning on doing it next year.”

The students who volunteered were assigned to sell raffle tickets, help close the silent auction tables and display items that were up for bid in the live auction.

“At the auction I helped with the silent auction table and sold raffle tickets,” Jordan Peterson, ’04, said. “It was fun because I was with my friends and it was easy to do.”

Donations that were up for bidding included a week at a Big Sky Montana condo, a Napa Valley hot air balloon ride and a $1,000 Gottschalks shopping spree along with many other items.

For more information about the outcome of the auction, parents can contact superintendent Tim Wilkins at 299-1695 ext. 101.
” “Doug Opie” “The annual FCS auction took place on Mar. 27 in the gym. Above, auctioner Wayne Huggins receives bids for a kindergarten class quilt as juniors Ross Charest and Alejandra Ramirez display the quilt for the bidders. The quilt, which sold for $1,500, was one of 25 items sold during the live auction.” “” “” “Insert text here