Gaining employment an arduous task

“Get a job!” It seems parents love nothing more than to fling this phrase at overworked students while they are in the midst of an afternoon nap. As easy as parents may make it sound the process of actually getting a job can be trying to say the least.

“I have applied to Sweet Tomatoes, Berean, Majesty, Save Mart, Target, and Best Buy.” Kyle Gentz, ’05, said. “I’m still unemployed, and the only businesses that contacted me were Sweet Tomatoes to say they were considering me, and Best Buy just to tell me I had to be 18.”

Though landing a job without having prior experience can be difficult, the key to getting your first job is distinguishing yourself from the other 1,000 applicants.

“A big mistake many students make is thinking that they need prior work experience to make a resume,” Molly Sargent, dean of women, said. “Volunteer work and positive personal attributes can be included in any resume. And to get even better results, call the business after about three days; persistence pays off.”

According to one student the hard work will pay off in the end.

“I’m not going to lie to you; finding a job in the Valley is an arduous journey,” Jeremy Price, ’04, said. “If you are dedicated to getting a job then be outgoing. That means you have to go out and apply for many jobs, not just the one you want.”

Once a potential employee is contacted by a business, they are only partly done with the journey; the often dreaded interview still awaits.

“Assuming you are chosen as a potential employee, the job interview will be the most important step in your quest for employment.” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “Within the first 30 seconds, whoever is conducting the interview will judge your ability to handle the job based on eye contact, dress and use of slang.”

Despite the difficulty associated with getting that first job, some employers are not too concerned with prior work experience, but rather with attitude and responsibility.

“Every summer we have to hire 300 to 350 employees, and about 75% of these are highschoolers getting their first job,” Neal Jergensen, Island Waterpark Operations Manager, said. “If you’re looking for employment consider applying at the Island soon since most interviews will take place over spring break.”

For more information concerning resume formats, consult Sargent at 297-9464, ext. 150 or to reach Endicott concerning job opportunities in the Valley, try ext. 126.