Choir prepares for final concert, next season

Beautiful voices echo throughout the hall as melodies weave stories for the audience. Soloists and the concert choirs uphold the standard of excellence as the concert concludes with a flourish.

The high school concert choir and ensemble are preparing for a new year and new members. Auditions were held for new ensemble members during the week of April 4-8.

During these auditions, students had to sight-read music by singing four measures of a Christmas carol with the piano. They also had to clap rhythms to see how well they could follow a beat. Choir director Aaron Bryan also played four notes that the students had to sing back to test vocal range and tone.

?I decided to audition because I thought it would be a good experience,? Jen VandenHoek, ?06, said. ?Especially since it will be my senior year.?

Next year?s concert choir and ensemble will be traveling to Colorado Springs, CO. They will be there for five days, singing in the national ?Heritage Music Festival.?

?This is sure to be an amazing trip,? Bryan said. ?Colorado Springs is a beautiful city with many thing to do. It?s sure to be a blast!?

Bryan is also trying to arrange an exchange with the Air Force Academy choir and they plan on visiting the Royal Gorge Amusement Park.

As this year ends Bryan hopes to add some new voices to next season?s concert choir.

?Anyone who loves to sing can join,? Bryan said. ?If you enjoy singing, even in the shower, we would love to have you join us in concert choir.?

Unlike the ensemble, auditions for concert choir are not required. Anyone who wants to join can talk to Principal Gary Schultz to make it work in their schedule.

This year, Bryan is taking a new spin on previous spring concerts. This year?s concert will feature music by The Beatles and The Righteous Brothers, along with jazz and pop songs.

?The girls will be singing an arrangement of ?My Boyfriend?s Back? and the boys will also be featured in what is sure to be a hilarious song called ?Standing on the Corner?,? Bryan said. ?The spring concert will be very exciting and a lot of fun.?

Many students are looking forward to the concert.

?I think the spring concert will be great,? Katelyn Aydelotte, ?08, said. ?The choir is singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow and a tribute to the Beatles. This will be fun because they are more enjoyable songs that most people know.?

The spring concert will be held in the Veteran?s Memorial Auditorium at 7:30 P.M. on May 18. It will be free of charge.

For more information on the concert choir contact Bryan at [email protected] or call the high school office at 299-1695, ext 5.