Culture of Easter diverse

Ready?get set?go! Young children run through Woodward Park in an attempt to find as many plastic eggs as they can possibly get their hands on. Even while falling down and scraping their elbows, they attempt to surpass their opponents in order to receive the prize.

For many Christians, however, Easter is about more than colorful eggs and plush bunnies; it is one of the most eagerly awaited and important holidays of the year. Many celebrate the holiday by honoring Jesus and his sacrifice rather than making the day just a “”colorful”” spring event.

Forty days before Easter, on Ash Wednesday, many Christians prepare themselves with a period of fasting called Lent. Those who particpate give up something precious to them in order to keep focus on Christ’s sacrifice.

“The point of Lent isn’t what you’re giving up,” Jesse Madsen, ’05, said. “It’s just important that when you think of what you’ve given up you spend that time in prayer.”

Good Friday is the last Friday before Easter, and it is believed to be the day of Jesus’ crucifixion. It is known as God’s Friday. This day has been traditionally dedicated to penance, fasting and prayer.

Christians believe Easter Sunday is the celebration of God’s fulfillment of his promise to humankind, the promise of salvation and the forgiveness of sins, through His son, the Risen Christ, to all who follow and believe.

However, not all people believe that Christ died on the cross for the sins of humankind. Muslims believe that Christ was a prophet. In their eyes, Allah (God), would never allow a prophet to suffer such a humiliating death.

Muslims believe that Allah raised Christ to heaven and only his physical image remained on the cross. As a result, those in attendance believed he was crucified.

The Quran refers to this in Surah, 4:157, “That they said, We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, The Messenger of Allah, but they killed him not, nor crucified him.”

Muslims also believe that each individual is responsible for their own sins. Therefore no one sacrifices for the sake of other humans; everyone is accountable for themselves even the prophets.

While the culture of Easter includes the bunny, eggs and candy, not everyone acknowledges the meaning of Easter portrayed in the Bible. Each must seek to determine the truth of Christ ‘s death and resurrection.