SAT10 tests intellectual prowess

Students scrambled to complete their Standard Achievement Tests (SAT10s) under the watchful eyes of faculty proctors. Often obscure facts regarding subjects ranging from math to spelling tested student intelligence and patience on April 19-21.

The SAT10 is a national test that all students are required to take each year until 12th grade. The exam’s goal is to evaluate school curriculum and compares scores to those of the previous year.

“The test is designed to assess where each student is academically,” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “Students should take the test seriously because it helps them prepare for the future.”

Many students on campus do not enjoy taking the SAT10 tests.

“I think its ridiculous that we have to take the SAT10,” Garret Stipe, ’06, said. “This test has no point, and the fact that they compare our scores to those of other high school students is horrible.”

Others on campus see the SAT 10 as preparation for college and a way to find out where they are weak in academic areas.

“I think taking the SAT 10 really prepares you for college,” Alysa Muzny, ’05, said. “Based on my performance I will know what areas I am weakest in and where I need to focus.”

Unknown to many students, teachers may use the results of the test to help them determine a student’s future potential.

“A student came to me once and wanted me to write them a letter of recommendation,” Pat Unruh, elementary/junior high principal, said. “I looked at their SAT10 testing and their grades to see if they took school seriously, and that’s what I based my letter on.”

For more information about SAT10 scores, contact Endicott at 299-1695, ext. 5. Scores will become available before the fall semester begins.

For those who missed a section of the SAT10 testing, make-up dates are April 22-23 in the Ground Zero Cafe from 1-3 P.M.