Scholarship deadlines for seniors loom

College can be a reality, not just a dream. However, actually financing their college aspirations can often be a daunting task.

In order to attend a university, tuition, room and board, books, food, clothing and entertainment all must be financed. In order to help lesson this monetary burden, numerous campus groups offer scholarships to deserving students.

“The faculty and staff of Fresno Christian came together to give a very significant reward to aid students,” Scott Falk, campus chaplain, said. “This general scholarship is an award presented at commencement, and it is a sizeable amount.”

The Faculty Staff Scholarship has prerequisites that applicants must meet before being considered. The student must be a senior, have been enrolled on campus for a three year minimum, posess at least a 2.5 GPA, be involved in a local church and demonstrate Christian character.

“I am interested in the staff scholarship,” Chase Van Schoonhoven, ’04, said. “It would really help me out in paying for all my college expenses.””

The scholarship deadline is May 3. Applications can be picked up in the high school office.

Another option for selected number of students to consider is the California Scholarship Federation [CSF] Scholarship. CSF offers one scholarship which is open to any CSF lifetime member.

“We look for excellence in academics, community service, and character/ attitude,” Ellen King, CSF adviser, said. “CSF does not magically create this scholarship. The money raised from Cinco de Mayo goes directly to the graduating senior who receives this scholarship.”

King and Molly Sargent, CSF associate adviser, will review all applicants; the deadline is May 7, 2004. Applications are available in the office and from King. CSF will start selling tickets starting May 3 through May 4 for the Cinco de Mayo luncheon.

“Buying enchiladas for Cinco de Mayo is a great way to support CSF students and seniors,” King said. “Participating in this event helps serve our entire school community.”

For more information on scholarships, contact Falk at 299-1695, ext. 121 or King at 299-1695, ext. 167.

Alec Kneefel” “” “” “” “” “Insert text here