Ice sequel surpasses original humor

The announcement of a movie sequel usually means a desperate attempt from the movie producers to make more money. But, when it comes to Ice Age 2: The Melt Down, rarely can a more quality sequel be found.

The original three characters: Manny, the mammoth, Sid, the sloth and Diego the saber tooth tiger have returned for a new adventure and this time there are a few new friends. Ellie, the female mammoth, becomes the love interest for the lonely Manny.

Crash and Eddie are Ellie?s younger twin brothers that cause as much trouble as possible. The catch is that those two are possums, and she thinks she is also one because she grew up with them.

The story revolves around the infamous ?melt down.? All the characters in the movie are trying to reach a giant hollow tree trunk that they can use as a floatation device for when the glacier melt comes barreling into the valley they live in.

Although the plot has a central children?s-movie idea, most of the one-liners are aimed at adult humor. The audience was comprised of all ages and by the end, all looked as though they enjoyed themselves.

Arguably the most hilarious sequences in the film are when the squirrel, Scrat, turns ninja on a school of hungry piranhas in defense of his precious acorn.

While much of the film revolves around comedic themes, there are some heart-warming scenes for the romantic. The most memorable of these occurs when Manny discovers a whole herd of mammoths and he and Ellie decide to take their place among the mammal giants.

While Manny originally feels the move is valid, he and Ellie discover their future lies with the herd they had all along, with Sid, Diego, Crash and Eddie.

This movie would be a good choice for students to take the obligatory Saturday afternoon with younger siblings or cousins to. The younger kids can enjoy the silly animated antics, and the older ?kids? will enjoy the dry sarcasm and witty one-liners.

Ice Age 2: The Melt Down is playing at Edward?s 21 Cinema in Riverpark.

For more information about the movie Ice Age 2: The Melt Down, visit the official website online at www.iceagemovie.com.