BRIEF: Fresno State to assist students with applications, Oct. 26

20150922-fc-college-fair-019
[/media-credit] Fresno State, a leading school in Central California, is visiting FC to assist students in completing college applications.

California State University, Fresno, more commonly known as Fresno State, is one of the largest systems of higher education in the world. Located in the San Joaquin Valley, it remains one of the richest agriculture schools in the world. Fresno State awards over a thousand scholarships totaling over $3.8 million to incoming students.

Academic advisor Michelle Warkentin, feels that now is a great time for students to go through the process of doing their college application.

“Fresno State is coming to FCS to help students with their college application,” Warkentin said. “It is a great time for students to go through the process with a college admissions representative from Fresno State and ask any questions they may have along the way.”

According to Warkentin, students that have a high GPA and good test scores will have the best shot at getting accepted in Fresno State.

By living on campus you get more of the college lifestyle. You have more access to more opportunities, there is a short walk away from classes and there are meal plans available. By living off campus you can find your own apartment with roommates who don’t attend Fresno State, you can be more selective in the type of house/apartment and you can save money if living at home. — Michelle Warkentin, Academic Advisor

“Students with above a 3.0 GPA and good test scores, SAT or ACT, who are also from the Fresno area and meet all admissions requirements will have the best shot of getting in,” Warkentin said. “However, since Fresno State is impacted at the freshman level it is getting more difficult to get in.”

Living either on or off campus provide benefits to students, and can help them feel immersed in the college ‘lifestyle’.

“By living on campus you get more of the college lifestyle,” Warkentin said. “You have more access to more opportunities, there is a short walk away from classes and there are meal plans available. By living off campus you can find your own apartment with roommates who don’t attend Fresno State, you can be more selective in the type of house/apartment and you can save money if living at home.”

20151022-fc-fresno-state-001
[/media-credit] Fresno State offers scholarship money to students with high GPAs and SAT scores.

Senior Courtney Messer will be attending the Fresno State meeting. She reports that she is thankful for the opportunity to receive advice on filling out college applications.

“I am so glad that Fresno State is coming to school Thursday,” Messer said. “I think the senior class needs this help, since looking over and filling out applications can be a stressful process.”

Excited to learn more about Fresno State, Tyler Breedlove, ’16, will be asking many questions to help him understand more about the university.

“I am excited to learn more about Fresno State,” Breedlove said. “I want to know more about them and what sets them apart from other universities. I also want to know what kinds of programs are offered.”

Fresno State awards nearly $4 million to incoming students and has awarded over a thousand scholarships. With good SAT and ACT scores along with a high GPA, high schoolers looking to attend Fresno State will have a good shot to be accepted. Fresno State will be at FCS on October 26 talking to students about the college application procedure.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 or via email: Nick Leblanc.