World of Sports: Warriors off to the best start in NBA history

8242408643_798cd68dec_o
[/media-credit] Steph Curry warms up, hoping to extend winning streak.

Warriors break long time NBA record

A record that has stood in the NBA for 67 years, was finally broken on November 24, 2015. Thanks to Steph Curry’s impressive play, the Golden State Warriors have set the record for best start in NBA history with their victory over the Los Angles Lakers to push their record to 16-0. The previous record was shared by the 1948-49 Washington Capitols and 1993-94 Houston Rockets with a record of 15-0. The Warriors however, are still extending their streak and are currently 19-0.

The Warriors officially broke the record with a 111-77 victory over the Los Angles Lakers on November 24. Steph Curry lead the way with 24 points and nine assists. From the opening tip-off, the Warriors were in control of the game. The Warriors lead the Lakers, 30-11 at the end of the 1 quarter and lead 54-38 at halftime. With a 34 point lead heading into the final quarter, the Warriors coasted to their 16 straight win.

Tuesday night was not the only night that the Warriors have beaten their opponent by double digits. On Friday, November 27, the Warriors took on the Phoenix Suns. The game got out of hand quickly and the Warriors extended their streak with a 135-116 win. The next day, they challenged the Sacramento Kings in front of their home crowd. With help from players like Brandon Rush and Marreese Speights, the Warriors defeated the Kings 120-101.

Along with the impressive winning streak, Steph Curry achieved some personal accolades. On November 14, Curry made five three pointers, which helped him pass his dad, Dell Curry, on the NBA’s all time 3-point list. Dell made 1,245 three pointers in 1,083 games. Steph passed his father in just 427 games.

Along with passing his dad, Curry also passed Lebron James in three pointers made. James has made 1,276 in 927 games, while Curry now has 1,278 made threes in just 433. Curry currently sits at 35 in all time NBA three pointers made. Along with these astounding statistics, Steph Curry also ranks first in three pointers made through the first 11 games of the season with 57 made threes.

8243477216_02d984f0b8_o
[/media-credit] The Warriors warm up, hoping to set NBA record.

Although the Warriors are off to the best start in NBA history, the likeliness of a undefeated season is a little far fetched. I am excited to see how far the Warriors are able to carry their perfect record. The Warriors have only played about half of the teams in the league, so there are still many teams that could bring down the reigning champs. The Warriors play seven road games in a row. I am excited to watch their match up against the Toronto Raptors on December 5. The Warriors escaped with a 115-110 victory in their previous meeting. The Raptors have two great players in DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowery. I think they will match up nicely against the strong back court of the Warriors.

The Warriors are off to the best start in NBA history. Many expected a good season from this team, however, few could predict this strong of a start. The Warriors hope to keep this impressive play going throughout the season, in hopes for a another NBA Championship title.

Scores and other information for this article were provided by the NBA.

For last week’s sports column, read World of Sports: 70th NBA season underway.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc.