COLUMN: Grizzly stadium offers entertaining gameplay, delicious food

Journalist analyzes local professional sports team

The Fresno Grizzlies, beat the Memphis Redbirds, 10-1, their last home game of the season, tying their playoff series, 1-1, on Sept. 12. Entering the night, they trailed the Redbirds 1-0 in the Pacific Coast League (PCL) Championship Series. The series is best-of-five with the first two games in Fresno and the next three in Memphis.

[/media-credit] Fresno Grizzly mascot, Parker excites the crowd in between innings during Fresno’s, 10-1, win over Memphis, Sept. 12.

The Grizzlies finished the regular season with a 82-57 record, finishing first place in the PCL Pacific North. They played the El Paso Chihuahuas in the PCL Pacific Championship series beating them three games to two. The Grizzlies went up two games but then dropped the next two and then finally won the clinching game, 10-2, against the Chihuahuas.

The Grizzlies played an excellent game two against the Redbirds, Sept. 12. Fresno did most of their damage during the second inning scoring 6 runs and sending 12 batters to the plate.

Memphis starter Tyler Lyons was pulled out of the game after going just 1 and ⅔ of an inning. Grizzlies players Kyler Tucker and Drew Ferguson both had a big night as they both had three runs batted in (RBI) each.

But the taco trucks inside the stadium also captured my attention.

Fresno area offers one of the biggest selection of tacos in the Central Valley. Dozens of taco trucks roam around the city. Those tacos are enjoyed by many people as they are in varieties of different events, including at the Grizzlies game.

The ballpark also offered varieties of food from pizza to tacos. I was able to get some delicious tacos from Los Toritos, one of the two taco trucks near my seats. Tacos were cheaper than a slice of pizza as they were only $2 per taco. Both taco trucks gathered long lines of fans waiting for their tacos.

In the last home game of the season, over 7,000 fans came out to support their team. Besides the game, chosen fans were able to participate on the field for fun games in between innings. Parker, the Grizzlies mascot also provided entertainment for the fans as he goofed around and took photos with kids.

The Grizzlies will travel to Memphis for game three and first pitch is set at 7:05 p.m., Sept. 14. Game 4 and 5 (if necessary) will also be played in Memphis, Sept. 15-16. All the games can be followed via Twitter @FresnoGrizzlies and @memphisredbirds.

Slideshow images below show The Fresno Grizzlies play Memphis Redbirds, Sept. 12.

[rev_slider alias=”johnmonke”]

John Monke can be reached via email and via Twitter.