Team Canada captures world cup

20161011-world-cup-hockey-002
[/media-credit] Sydney Crosby led Team Canada to the World Cup of Hockey title.

Canada dominates international play

After two weeks of intense clashing between countries, only one team came out on top. Team Canada raised the cup once again after topping Team Europe.

The Canadians played the Europeans in a best out of three format. Team Canada’s highly skilled players crushed Team Europe’s dream of winning.

Game one went to Team Canada, after a 3-1 victory. Their offense is always a threat, as Brad Marchand scored 2:33 into the game. Later, Steven Stamkos and Patrice Bergeron both tallied in one more goal. Team Canada’s defense was phenomenal, allowing only one goal on 33 shots.

Team Europe found themselves in a must-win game to keep their hope alive for the cup.

Game two was the most exciting game of the whole tournament in my opinion. Zdeno Chara scored early for Team Europe, as they went up 1-0. There was no scoring in the second and the majority of the third period. Patrice Bergeron scored on a powerplay to tie the game one a piece. Team Canada committed a crucial penalty within the last two minutes. However on the power play, Marchand scored a shorthanded goal to give Team Canada their first lead of the game.

20161011-world-cup-hockey-001
[/media-credit] Team Canada ended the tournament going 6-0.

Marchand’s shorthanded goal ended up to be the game winner. Team Europe played heck of a game but came up short.

Sidney Crosby was named MVP (most valuable player) of the tournament, leading the event with 10 points. Carey Price was marvelous for Canada allowing only seven goals on 163 shoots.

The hockey world learned a lot through this tournament. Team Canada makes a statement that they are the best in the world, finishing 6-0 in the tournament. We also learned that Team Europe is not as bad as we thought they were going to be. Entering the tournament their odds to win it all were 33-1 (3%).

Comment below if you think Team Canada is the powerhouse of hockey.

To read another sports column see, 2016 Olympics filled with controversy, record breaking performances

This author can be reached via twitter: @JohnMonke